Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Supporting Cast

No business or individual entrepreneur can succeed without a good supporting cast. That's why they give Oscars for Best Supporting Actor/Actress in a Film. It's an important role and somebody(s) have to play it.  In my case, and for most budding entreprenurs, it's my spouse and family.  I started making polymerclay rings for my granddaughters and their friends. They all loved them so much and their mothers would tell me I could easily make and sell my rings at craft shows.
 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/103560038/gold-hot-air-balloon-necklace-whand
Two years later I told my husband I wanted to give it a try, thinking he'd be hung up on the cost and travel involved, I prepared to plead my case. I said I'd only do local shows within a 100 mile radius. To my delight he said, give it a try.
We agreed upon the NWG Hot Air Balloon Festival, June 1-3.  It promised to be a busy festival with thousands of fair goers looking for arts & crafts items.

Excited, I busied myself with making Festival related pieces, among other things.  I thought to myself that this is  hot air balloon festival and the fair goers will be thrilled with hot air balloon jewelry pieces.



I came up with my own hot air balloon designs. I formed, painted and decorated them with swarovski crystals all from my imagination. Looking at what I had created, I was very pleased.  I also made other pieces not fair related to offer.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104608674/hot-air-balloon-necklacependant-silver
My booth at the NWG Hot Air Balloon Festival, June 1-3, 2012

Then off we went to the NW Georgia Hot Air Balloon Festival on the weekend of June 1.  I would love to say what a roaring success it was.  My husband was so supportive and willing to give me my wings that I wanted it to be successful for him.

But, alas, it was an utter FAILURE.  NOT 1 SALE.  I felt like such a huge looser sitting out there in all that heat, having spent all that money to get there and for the set up. My "dumb" sign that I had to tape to the tent because, duh, I didn't think about how I was gonna put it up.  Oh! Not to mention the tent I had to go out and buy once I got there because, duh, they don't provide an ACTUAL booth, just a space.


The fair itself wasn't much of a success for any of the vendors.  But I learned valuable lessons from the seasoned vendors there and felt that after all, it was a successful venture because I got hands-on experience in vending and training from the vendors there.  I sheepishly told my husband that it was a good learning experience for future vending opportunities.  To my surprise he agreed and started talking about strategies and preparations for NEXT time. 

My girls and family are my #1 fans and cheering section.  My 10-year-old, Kayla, was determined for everyone at the fair to love my work as much as she did.  So she walked the entire fair in the blazing sun, going to all the vendors with some of my pieces and inviting them to visit my booth!

My mother-in-law deserves a supporting cast award as well. She's always ready to help me with August so that I can get things done.  She gladly took care of him the weekend of the festival so that I could try vending.  I couldn't have gone without her or my husband wouldn't have been able to come with me, which would have felt really, really lonely and sad considering how things turned out.

Because of my husband's support, when we got home I was energized to do it again, and so was he!  So we won't be home the weekend of September 15 & 16. We'll be at the Shakerag Arts & Crafts Show in Peachtree City, GA. Armed with a "real" banner and lessons from our first go round.

SO ENTREPRENEURS LETS HERE IT FOR OUR SUPPORTING CAST MEMBERS!

Well that's all for now.  Go forth and create.  Let the imaginations fly free!

Peace be the journey,



1 comment:

  1. OMG you are so cute! To tape the banner, buy the tent, work so darn hard and then to wrap it with positivity! Love, love love your spirit! You go Girl, You go Family!

    ReplyDelete